Enzymes are substances that are produced by the body of a living organism that plays the role of a catalyst to bring about any particular biochemical reaction. A catalyst is actually a substance that increases the rate of a chemical reaction and in a similar manner, the enzymes present in our body helps to increase the rate of the biochemical reactions that take place within the body of the human beings. Enzymes are basically proteins that play a crucial role in controlling the speed of the chemical reactions that occurs in our body. The absence of proper enzymes in our body will result in slowing down of the chemical reactions occurring within the body which makes it difficult to keep us alive. There are three types of enzymes present in our body and are extremely important for the various processes taking place within the body that are as mentioned below.
- Metabolic Enzymes – The metabolic enzymes are those which help to initiate and speed up the reactions within the cells that are present in our body. All the organs, cells and tissues of the body are fueled by the metabolic enzymes. We would not be able to survive without them since our body will simply stop functioning without the enzymes. The importance of the metabolic enzymes is as described below.
- The metabolic enzymes are very important in the healing of wounds. They play an important function in the repairing process of the cells, tissues and the organs of the body as and when required, thereby keeping the body in a condition that functions normally.
- These enzymes are extremely important for providing the required amount of energy to all the cells of the body so that the cells can effectively perform the function they are intended to. These enzymes basically act as the powerhouse of the cells.
- They help in attaching iron with the red blood cells of our body which is extremely important for the body to get the required amount iron.
- The help to turn phosphorous into the tissues of the bone which is of utmost importance to keep the bones in a strong and healthy condition.
- They play a vital role in the proper functioning of the immune system of the body which helps in the prevention of various types of diseases. It also protects our body from different types of bacteria, virus and other infections. Thus, they are very crucial in terms of the proper and effective defense mechanism of the body of human beings.
- These enzymes are involved in the blood and its coagulation system. Coagulation actually means the clotting of the blood in case of an injury which is followed by a repair process. Thus, the metabolic enzymes are absolutely essential for the process of clotting of the blood.
- The metabolic enzymes also help in proper functioning of the kidney, the cardiovascular system, the reproductive system, the functioning of the liver, cognitive system and in the detoxification process as well.
Also read: Importance of immune system
- Digestive Enzymes–As indicated by the name, these enzymes are important to the digestive system of the human body. The digestive enzymes are responsible for the breaking down of complex food particles into simpler ones so that they can be effectively utilized by our body. These enzymes are of immense importance to the body since they promote the process of breaking down of food particles so that the essential nutrients can be absorbed from the food by the body and put to the required use. The digestive enzymes are extremely important from the point of view of getting the maximum possible nutritional value from the foods that we consume and helping the digestive system to perform efficiently. For this particular reason, the digestive enzymes should be maintained at an optimum level in the body.
- Food Enzymes–The food enzymes are supplied to our body by the foods that we eat. Its main importance is to aid the process of digestion of our body so that it can function effectively and efficiently without any kind of hindrance.
Thus, it can be very well understood that how important are the enzymes to the body and what role they play in the human body. The enzymes are actually involved in the functioning and the regulation of all the cells, tissues, organs & organ systems present in the body and as a reason, they become extremely important for life. They help in the maintenance of the overall functioning of the body in an efficient way.