Ultrasound or sonography is the type of scanning method used in the field of medical science to get the live images of the internal organs of the body. This method makes the use of high-frequency waves to attain these images. One of the major advantages of using this technique is that the patient does not get affected by any kind of radiation. Hence, this type of scan is recommended to check the development of the fetus during pregnancy.
The images produced with the help of the ultrasound helps the doctor to know the condition of the vital organs, vessels, and tissues in a patient without making an incision. Ultrasound is one of the common tests used in the field of medicine when a patient suffers from pain, swelling, etc. Mentioned below are some of the points which help to understand the importance of this technique.
- Ultrasound is used in trauma care to check the patient for any fluid accumulation and also to know the progression of the internal bleeding in him.
- Ultrasound-guided biopsies help the doctors to get the sample of the defective internal organs without disturbing the other blood vessels and delicate members.
- It is also used by the veterinarians to check the pets for any internal injuries or organ failure.
- Radiographs will not give a proper image when the abdominal organs get filled with fluids. Only ultrasound techniques will be able to help the doctors to analyze the patients during such circumstances.
- The Bladder stones which may not be visible on the radiographs can be identified with the help of ultrasound scans.
- The severity of the Pancreatitis, a life-threatening disease can be confirmed only with the help of ultrasound techniques.
- The doctors can easily monitor the growth and also check the structural abnormalities of the fetus with the help of ultrasound techniques. Due to the absence of radiation, this is the safest type of scan for both the mother and the child.
- Ultrasound helps in the detection of the growths like fibroids, cancer, or ovarian masses in the female reproductive tracts.
- Echocardiogram, a type of ultrasound is used to check the functioning of the heart. It can also be used to determine the cardiac abnormalities in the fetus before birth and this procedure is known as fetal echocardiography.
- Ultrasound helps to determine the precise location on which a biopsy has to be taken.
- Ultrasound helps the expecting mothers to view the child in their womb.
- This is the cheapest technique compared to the mammogram.
- Ultrasound does not cause any side-effects to the patients.
- Almost all the ultrasound techniques are painless.
- It also helps to check the blood flow through the vessels.
- Ultrasound helps to see the texture and structure of the internal organs.
The other health conditions in which ultrasound techniques are being used for better result include:
- Infected gallbladders
- Enlarged adrenal glands
- Kidneys damaged by the toxins
- Diffuse liver disease
- Intestinal cancer
- Enlarged lymph nodes
- Abnormalities in the reproductive tract, such as an infected uterus
Hence, there is a wide range of areas in the medical science which completely depend on the ultrasound techniques to get the correct information about the condition of the vital organs. Currently, there are no other techniques which are free from radiations and other harmful rays to replace this technology. For a patient to receive the proper treatment for his/her health condition, a proper diagnosis essential. This can be attained only with the help of ultrasound techniques.