In the simplest of terms, Biotechnology is a technology which is based on biology. Biotechnology is about harnessing biomolecular and cellular process in order to develop certain products and that would help improve the overall health condition of the entire mankind. The biological processes of the microorganisms have been used by biotechnology to develop different kinds of food products and supplements.
Various traditional industries like fermentation and food processing have been influenced by Biotechnology. A whole new concept of industrial production and manufacturing of antibiotics, hormones, various kinds of chemicals, energy and food sources has been developed based on Biotechnology.
Benefits of Biotechnology
There are numerous ways in which Biotechnology has benefited the mankind. Here is a couple of them:
• Benefits to the farmers: Biotechnology in various ways has contributed to the entire process of crop production. It has come up with various types of chemicals and fertilizers which have helped in the increased production of crops. It is Biotech which has introduced the concept of pesticides and other kinds of deterrents which protect crops from insects and other kinds of harmful elements. It is because of the various inventions in the field of Biotechnology, these days crops can be grown even under the most adverse climatic conditions. They have been made tolerant to heat, they can sustain drought and various other forms of industrial hazards.
• Benefits to the Processors: There are various ways in which the food processing industry has been benefited by Biotechnology. It has helped to improve the content and quality of different kinds of animal feed, energy, and food sources. The various kinds of healthy food items and supplements which we use today are all products of Biotechnology. It is this field of science which has brought about a revolution in the entire domain of the food industry.
• Benefits to the Consumers: The fact that Biotechnology has helped in the process of farming and food processing industry has made sure that the consumers are also benefited from it. These days, we can avail various kinds of food items which contain additional protein, vitamins, minerals and other nutrients. It is Biotechnology which has gifted us with a new type of foods. Earlier, these nutrients were available in nature, today, with the help of Biotech, they are available to us in packed form and in the proportion we want. It has made our life much healthier than before.
Also read: Importance of agriculture
• Environmental Benefits: This is another major benefit of Biotechnology. It has been used to make sure that our environment remains fresh and free from different kinds of contaminants. It has also helped us to conserve energy and soil. Biotechnology has been used to reduce the greenhouse gasses to a great extent. The level of the toxic herbicides has been successfully reduced with the help of Biotechnology. It has also been used to conserve natural resources and the fertility of the soil.
These are some of the major contributions of Biotechnology. Apart from these, there are other areas which have benefited from the study and researches carried out in this field.
- importance of biotechnology
- importance of biotechnology in our life
- speach of biotecnology
- importance of biotechnology in summatherapy
- Biotechnology essay