Are Internships Necessary?
This is a basic question that usually arises in the mind of a fresh graduate. Students, try to enter into the corporate world right after their graduation. Employment is, in fact, the major concern of all the people. But do you think that you will get hired by a conglomerate with the help of your educational qualifications alone? If you have enough contacts with the higher authorities in an organization, then you might get a job. Without prior experience, it will be very difficult to sustain in the corporate world, even if you get hired by luck.
People always seem to be dubious when it comes to the topic of the internship. Education and work are two different realms. The internship is actually the connecting bridge between these two realms. Doing an internship program helps you to recognize the most suitable career path for you. Through these programs, you can understand the different types of work happening within an organization.
Type of Internships
Internships can be paid or unpaid. Students sometimes do part-time internships and jobs to earn money. Paid internships are usually more difficult to get compared to the unpaid ones. In paid internships, you would have to pass the interview or the assessment tests conducted by the company. Whether it is paid or unpaid, all types of internships can provide you with the adequate experience and knowledge required in your chosen field.
Benefits of Doing an Internship
There are many benefits of doing an internship program other than gaining experience. Let us have a look at the various advantages of an internship program.
- To Gain Experience: This is one of the most widely known advantages of doing an internship. While doing an internship, you will be asked to engage in all the types of work happening within the organization. Thus, it helps you to gain the basic knowledge of all the works. You can also learn how to do multitasking with these programs.
- To Choose the Best Career Path: If you are confused between two or more jobs, then it is better to do internship programs in each of them. An internship program is usually conducted for a period of maximum three months. Hence, you will get enough time to engage in different internship programs and understand the type of works happening in those fields. This will help you to recognize the most suitable field for you.
- Communication: Internships are the best platform to create business relationships. With the help of these programs, you can learn about how to create and maintain professional relationships in the corporate world.
- Opportunity to Learn: This is the only area where your mistakes will be welcomed. When an organization hires you, they expect you to learn from your mistakes. Hence, you can even experiment with your own ideas and creativity without the fear of getting reprimanded. These programs, thus, help you to develop your skills.
- Boosts Your Confidence: If you have the relevant experience in the job for which you have applied, you will be able to face the interview board with confidence. Also, you will not feel hesitant to put forth your knowledge and ideas to your peers.
- Time Management: In our fast-paced world, the value of time is very high. Hence, it is necessary to complete the works assigned to you on time. Through the internship programs, you can learn how to effectively utilize your time and complete your works properly without any mistakes.
- To Write a Better Resume: When you apply for a job, the first thing that an employer notice is your resume. Hence, if the internship program attended is mentioned in your resume, it creates a better impression on the employer and your chances of getting the job will also increase.
If you see from a wider perspective, you will understand that the internship programs help to set the basic foundation for your career. They help you to understand how a work has to be done efficiently. Entering into a job immediately after your education can become too stressful for you. Handling complex issues at work can also overwhelm you if you do not have the required experience.
Moreover, internships will help you realize your skills in the different fields. This is the only platform which helps you to understand, learn and train yourself without any pressure. You will also get an experience of the professional world and hence, can prepare yourself before entering into the bigger frame. To be precise, an internship helps to carve out the professional in you.