Life today is not quite a bed of roses although it may seem so given the gifts of technology surrounding the lives of the common people nowadays. The tough and tiring personal and professional lives have rendered the humans hapless and there is hardly any moment of relief left to enjoy on own. Stuck in the tug of war of life, people are forgetting to smile and laugh that is taking a huge toll on not only the mental health of the human being but also on the physical health as well. This is because smile plays an important role in mending the moods of the individuals to a large extent and at the same time, it also aids in the process of a healthy social life also. This is because smile has a lot of significance in the lives of the humans and smiling is one of the best exercises that one should practice sincerely.
Why smiling is important?
Researchers have found out that smile plays an important role in improving the overall fitness and wellness quotient of the body and this is the reason that nowadays smile and laughter are used in treatments of various diseases. Some of the main reasons are discussed below:
- A smile helps in the healing process of the complete body as it triggers some of the happiest emotions as well as physical changes in the body. It also leads to the stimulation of the endorphins, which are secretions of the pituitary gland of the human body that help in instilling a sense of pleasure and euphoria by wiping out all sorts of stress, tensions, anxieties and other negative emotions from the mind.
- Apart from lifting the mood of the human beings, a smile is also very essential in strengthening the immune system of the body as well. Immunity is the ability of a human body to fight back any kind of antigens that can lead to diseases and therefore, having an optimum level of immunity is always required in order to maintain a healthy body and mind. This helps the body in lessening down any kind of pain and also prevents the body from getting plagued due to the detrimental effects of stress. This is a very crucial factor especially in today’s context where adult life has filled with stresses arising out of personal and professional issues. This is why children tend to remain more elated as compared to the grown-ups as they are lesser susceptible to stress.
- Any kind of outward manifestation of a ‘feel-good’ factor in life results in the smile or in other words, the signs of joy, excitement, appreciation, encouragement, love, affection and contentment are followed by smiles. It may be natural to remain sad and the sorrow feeling of the soul also gets reflected in the face because the person does not smile. However, as a medicinal as well as an expert advice, smiling is always recommended in such situations because that compulsorily helps in prepping up the spirits of the depressing individuals. This may not solve a problem but will definitely give a push to start afresh and live life with new energy. This is the main standpoint behind the usage of laughter therapy as a part of the treatment process of the mental disorders.
- A smile is also very contagious and this has a vital role to play in improving the social and community relationships as a whole. Whenever a person is greeted with a warm and friendly smile, the first impression itself is that of a glorious one, which then acts as a base for taking the relationship forward. Be it in the personal or the professional sphere of living, smile acts as one of the perfect bond-builders for the human beings at large. In fact, in this diverse world full of different culture, languages, caste, creed, sex and other variations, the smile can be the best way to communicate that can break all the barriers between boundaries and aid in the process of a harmonious relationship between the various countries of the world.
- Sometimes, it is said to fake a smile on the face for a better presentation especially in the professional sector. This is not only good for impressing the people around but a smile will always help to inculcate a sense of confidence that in turn will set the stepping stone to success because one can work with more zeal and vigor.
Therefore, it is always advisable to keep smiling and spread smiling around as well in order to ensure an all-round healthy environment in every respect.